Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Spinach Smoothie-really!

In my first ever WILT... post I mentioned that spinach in a smoothie is good. I made that smoothie again tonight with a few minor modifications. And guess what? It wasn't just a fluke-it's still good! I'm sure you could use other green leafies if you had them; mixed greens or kale but I almost always have spinach, and rarely use it all before it goes bad so this works well for me.

Spinach Smoothie
2 servings

1 cup pineapple-fresh tastes best of course but I used canned :-(
1 medium banana
1 cup spinach
1 cup light vanilla soy milk
3/4" slice firm tofu

This is the original recipe from The Gracious Pantry, but tonight I decided to splurge and add about a teaspoon of stevia and because this is my dinner tonight I also added 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder. I tried the original too, also delicious, I just needed some additional calories and protein to serve as more of a meal replacement.

With these additions the nutrition content per serving is:
Calories:  219
Carbs:     42
Fat:          3
Protein:   13
Fiber:      8

Is it too obvious to say that you place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth? I might also suggest some ice if you like your smoothies really cold (I do!) This is the first time I've ever bought tofu and as with the spinach, a good way to try something you're unsure of, but that definitely has nutritional benefits.

I'm going to play around with the fruit used as well-maybe some berries will mask the green color!! ;-)


Gwyn has become my kitchen assistant now that she has a high chair. She loves finally being able to sit up like a big girl and I'll also be able to try more baby led weaning now. I'm sure that will make for some great pics! She was not all that happy tonight since we were running close to her dinner time-hence the smoothie for my dinner, drank while nursing!!


She was also very sleepy as I was told when I picked her up from school today that she "played hard all day" and only took one short nap! Now if only I didn't still need to get up in the night to pump I'd be really excited by the prospect of a heavily sleeping baby all night! Oh well, go enjoy a smoothie. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment