Monday, July 30, 2012

Best Body Bootcamp-Week 1

I had meant to do a few updates throughout the week, but a lot of planned things went down the drain with the computer crash. The Macs are up and running (obviously!) and other than some learning on the file downloads things are going well. It's amazing what a difference in speed there is when compared to our ancient outdated ones!


Anyway-Week 1 is in the books!

I really enjoyed the strength workouts, and by enjoyed I mean sweat and grunted for every last rep-especially the moves we did to fatigue. I've never completed circuits where you fatigue the muscle first and then do a second complementary move directly after. And man, did I feel the burn :-) 

There was an upper, lower and combined workout like this. Can I just say how much I hate working lower body? I know you burn major calories doing it and that it's uber important as a runner to get those muscles in tip top shape, but squats and lunges really suck. And wall sits? I'd rather watch paint dry. But I fought through it and I'll be better for it. Maybe I'll learn to like them through boot camp? Thanks for letting me get that off my chest!

Speaking of lower body, I got this cool new piece of equipment at Dick's last weekend (on clearance!!!) SCORE!


I'm using it in place of a Bosu ball, which I've been wanting for a long time, but they're pricey. This bad boy is similar in that the base is made of air chambers so you can leave it as soft as you want, challenging your balance and core. I've been trying to stress the importance of core work to the hubs for-well, forever. This is a step (pun totally intended!) in the right direction.

Bootcamp calls for doing cardio after circuit work, which is tough, but in a good way. I'm using our elliptical for that since I spend too much time on the treadmill already. I also completed two cardio-only interval workouts (running) and one cardio of choice workout (again-running!)

This is probably the last picture of my sweaty self you're going to see-ugh!
I'm just not making the headway I'd like to with what is supposed to be my 'long' runs. I'd love to blame it on those wall sits but the fact is, I'm pretty sure it's all in my head. I'm at a complete plateau and I know I need to get my mind out of the way of my body. Easier said than done, eh?

Week 2 has already begun and I'm running a 5k on Saturday in MI...wish me luck!

Have you ever hit an exercise plateau? How did you break through?

 

2 comments:

  1. OK, you have me dying over here at work with your vent about lower body. Rather watch paint dry, hahaha!!! I love lower body workouts but those wall sits killed me.

    Keep working on your running. You'll get there. I haven't that plateau yet and I'm scared for when I do.

    You look fabulous after your workout! Keep posting those pics!

    Good luck on Saturday. I'll be cheering you on from the hot and sweaty south. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl, a little pep talk goes a long way ;)

      Delete