Thursday, July 5, 2012

WILT...Interval Training


Happy 2nd Monday of the week!!

So-back to What I Learned This...Interval Training session. In meeting my new goals I did Run #2 tonight. I thought it would be good to add some speed work to try and increase both my cardio threshold and my PR for my next 5k. Plus, don't we all get a little bored just running sometimes? Especially on a treadmill-blah!

But first, I was also pretty successful in the clean(er) eating today. I started with some pumpkin overnight oats (they do not make for a pretty picture!), and had a chicken-cranberry salad for lunch. I even caved and bought a candy bar...but ate only ONE bite. The hubs calls that sandbagging, but it'll be there waiting for me when I want just one more bite. On another day.


I still haven't eaten dinner, but I'm thinking scrambled eggs with spinach, feta and salsa?


Ok, back to the interval training and what I actually learned...tonight I did the following treadmill workout:

5 minute warm up walk
Intervals (3x through)
90 sec @ 7mph
30 sec @ 4mph
60 sec @ 8mph
60 sec @ 4 mph
30 sec @ 9mph
90 sec @ 4mph
7 min @ 6mph
5 minute cool down walk
3.06 miles, 35 minutes

I don't really know if this counts as HIIT (high intensity interval training) but who really decides what is high intensity if not the person training? So-I vote yea as my legs were on fiyah! I didn't wear my heartrate monitor so I don't know how many calories I burned but I do know that through the interval portion, even with walking in between, it worked out to just over 10 minute mile pace. But I was WAY more scorched than if I had just run that pace for 18 minutes!

Basically I learned that HIIT=a huffing puffing good time workout :-) And that it will make it's way in to my rotation on a regular basis.

Some random fun pics-G and I went 'swimming' on the 4th of July. Babies in swimsuits is just too cute not to share! And I think I figured out some sort of pic ture collage that works better. Now bring on Friday!!


2 comments:

  1. Your salad looks AMAZING! You did great today!

    Love your workout. One of these days we'll get a treadmill at home, but for now, it's the pavement at 6am or the gym for what little bit is left of our contract.

    ReplyDelete